Wednesday 5 November 2008

The Tale of Genji


It is said that the Tale of Genji was presented to Ichijo Tenno by Michizane Fujiwara in November 1008. There are many events celebrating this 1000 year anniversary of publication.

Murasaki Shikibu was a home teacher serving for Chugu Shoshi (an empress of Ichijo Tenno, daughter of Michizane Fujiwara). Sei Shonagon was also a home teacher serving for Chugu Teishi (another empress of Ichijo Tenno, sister of Korechika Fujiwara).
Both ladies were rivals. Moreover Korechika Fujiwara was a political opponent of Michizane Fujiwara. The present was took advantage in these situations.

When I learned Kobun, Japanese Classics, in my high school days, I had no interest in them. I was fed up with old grammar, meanings of words, etc. I like reading Japanese Classics now, as I do have the motivation to read them. The most important thing is the motivation. It is most difficult to let my son learn at the desk.

No comments: