Friday 3 October 2008

The Brothers Karamazov

Do you know how many brothers Karamazov have ?

The Brothers Karamazov is the final novel by the Russian author Fyodor Dostoevsky, and is generally considered the culmination of his life's work.


I learned that the new translations by Prof. Ikuo Kameyama with 5 sets of pocket book are a million seller. I listened to his lecture for the novel in radio. I started reading his new translations of The Brothers Karamazov. It is actually very easy to read them.


I read Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment in younger days with tough perseverance. It was very difficult for me to understand Russian background in late 19 century. Even though, Raskolnikov, the main character of Crime and Punishment was so impressive and attractive for me.


Prof. Ikuo Kameyama is now translating Crime and Punishment, it is said in his blog Cafe Karamazov ( http://karamazov08.blog17.fc2.com/ ). Which will become first, his publishing or my completion of reading ?

No comments: