Monday 1 September 2008

Kafka on the Shore


Kafka on the Shore (Umibe no Kafuka) is a novel by Japanese author Haruki Murakami (2002). The music of Beethoven, specifically the Archduke Trio is also used as a metaphor. Among other prominent themes are: the virtues of self-sufficiency and efficiency, the relation of dreams and reality, the specter of the heritage of World War II, the threat of fate, the uncertain grip of prophecy, and the power of nature. After a series of adventures, Kafka finds shelter in a quiet, private library in Takamatsu.
My ancestors sleep in the cemetery near Mt. Shiun, Ritsurin Park in Takamatsu. My mentor, Kukai (Kobo-Daishi) was born in this area, Sanuki. I have special emotion for there. That is why I like this novel so much. Haruki Murakami might be one of the candidates of Novel prize in literature. I am looking forward to his next work.

2 comments:

MIKI said...

I do not read the novel.

But,His appraisal is high,and the many fans are.

It will probably,to be the splendid novel.

Anonymous said...

Ms. Miki
Thank you very much for your comment. This is the first comment of Butterfly Dream. I visited your blog site and put it into my favorite site. Your calligraphy is so attractive. I would like to have chance to see your arts directly.
Andy